Dumb Pagan News

Now, while I realize that the reserve officer, which isn't really a law enforcement officer but a volunteer, sent them a letter urging them to convert. I don't know where they get the right to say that they should get off scott free because of that man. They were breaking some pretty valid laws, I know, I've broken them and I was pulled over for it and had my car towed away because of it. I didn't have stickers on the back of my car stating my religious beliefs. I was pissed but it was just a routine check and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I have posted a lot of news articles I have found of pagans standing up for their rights when faced with adversity from Government officials, but I really don't know how I feel about this one. They were driving around illegally, it's not as if these officers fabricated things to fine them with, they were perfectly within their rights to fine them. While I say stand up for yourself, I have to say have some common sense when doing so. Before spouting off at someone and saying you are only doing this because I'm pagan, ask yourself if you are actually doing something wrong to have this treatment in the first place. If not then fine, stand up for yourself, but if you are then shut up and take the consequences. And God Damn, does the ACLU have to get involved in every petty case.

The American Civil Liberties Union is demanding that the city of Greer drop all charges and apologize to a Greer couple who claim they were targeted by police because of a religious bumper sticker.Tony and D.J. Gainey said police pulled the couple over in May because of the bumper stickers on their car. One of the stickers read, "It's a druid thing."The Gaineys said they believe in druidism -- a nature-focused religion.

Reserve Officer Tony Stewart and Officer Gilbert Lozada cited Tony Gainey for driving with a suspended license, not having proper license plates or proof of insurance.Gainey said he's convinced he would not have been pulled over if it weren't for the bumper sticker."I shouldn't been driving. I am guilty of that, but the stop never would have taken place if they wouldn't have violated our rights," said Gainey.In a letter to the Greer Police Department, the Piedmont Chapter of the ACLU demanded that all charges be dropped against the Gaineys.Greer City Attorney John Duggan said the officers involved in the traffic stop did nothing wrong."In my 25 years as a prosecutor I've handled -- I don't know how many cases -- where the stop started when the officer called in a routine check of a tag. The bumper sticker had nothing to do with the reason for the stop," said Duggan.Greer police have since suspended the reserve officer program and Officer Lozada no longer works for the department."I can say it didn't have anything to do with this case, " said Duggan.

The ACLU said it's not so sure. "Seems like too much of a coincidence that two officers who stopped the Gaineys are gone. Something happened here that wasn't right," said Mike Cubelo, a spokesman for the ACLU Piedmont Chapter.The Gaineys are scheduled to appear in traffic court next week.Tony Gainey said he's sure justice will prevail."I feel that good things will come out of this," he said

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Philomelus, Son of Demeter

Plutus, God of Wealth, son of Demeter

Wiccan Parents have to win the right to teach their son their religion